4 years ago, when my husband I turned 43 we were looking to improve our general fitness level and manage our weight. We stumbled upon Crossfit and have been active members ever since, training 4-5 days a week with our 6am crew.
• Why do you train?
In the beginning, it was to loose weight. Then we trained to spend time together. Now we train for many reasons, to maintain our current weight, improve skills, stay fit, spend time together as a couple, and spend time with our fitness community.
• What do you hope to accomplish with your training/fitness?
I never thought I would dream this big, but I want to get to the point where I can do more body weight movements like pull ups, push ups, bur-pees more efficiently and to run faster in my METCONS.
• What do you think a healthy lifestyle has added to your life?
At first I was living to Crossfit, now I Crossfit to live better. It has added an element of pride in myself for what I can do and how I look.
• Advice to beginners?
You will be sore the first few months, it is part of the process. It is not a quick fix, there is no quick fix. There is hard work, dedication, and then results.
• Who are your role models and why?
My role models are the athletes whom I have watched transform their lives through training, proper nutrition, and healthy lifestyle choices. They are also the people who stay in the trenches and are able to maintain their results for the long haul.
• What is your favourite cheat meal?
Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans...with a trip to Wild Honey for Froyo with boba fruit.
• What keeps you motivated?
My husband and my community have kept me motivated. But my initial motivation came when I just got fed up with how I was living and how I was mistreating myself.
• How much time do you spend training per day?
1-2 hours a day during the week are spent training through condition, strength training, mobility, and accessory work.
• What are your 3 favourite exercises and why?
1. Overhead walking plate lunges are my absolute favorite because of the fact that I just love to lunge...it is just a weird thing. Gaining mobility in my shoulders has been a big deal too. I couldn't lift my arms over my head when I first started, much less get my lunge right 2. GHD Sit-ups are my second favorite because they make my stomach feel so strong. Also, I get really bad butt rub from ab mat sit ups, so I want options that don't make showering painful ;) 3. Double Unders are my third favorite because they are the first RX movement I really got but I still have so much to improve on, so I am constantly working them.
• What are your 3 least favourite exercises and why?
1. Any thing where I have to go upside down on my hands...Wall walks, handstand holds, box handstand push ups...I have not conquered my fear of that movement yet. 2. Burpees that have added movements...like burpee box overs... A burpee alone is great...jumping on stuff afterwards...no bueno! 3. Snatching heavy... my shoulder is really not a fan, but I am working cross over symmetry so I can add it to my arsenal.
• What do you find to be most challenging about committing to workouts or a nutrition regime?
NUTRITION! I just find that most people are unsupportive of others who are trying to eat healthy. It is a very judgy thing. You find loads of support when you start, but then when the holidays hit...everyone is trying to sabotage you. There is also a very social part of food that makes people derail themselves...from splurging with food when eating out to drinking alcohol...
• How many hours do you sleep each night?
I shoot for 6 hours of real sleep according to my fitbit. Anything under that and I am a zombie, and grumpy and find it hard to make good food choices.
• Are there any unique training tips you use that you would like to share with us?
I am really enjoying intermittent fasting. I also have had allot of success with Crossfit in general. I also make sure I continue to workout while on vacation!
• What does your typical meal plan look like?
A protein (chicken, pork, hamburger/turkey combo), small amount of starch (quinoa, brown basmati rice, sweet potato, golden potato), green veggie (broccoli, green beans, Brussels sprouts, cabbage)
• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I plan to still be working out 4-5 days a week, weighing around 145, continuing to eat healthy, possibly competing in the masters level of Crossfit hopefully with my husband.
• What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Strong, mathematical, healthy
• How do you manage the balance in your life and find time for everything?
Through much prayer and forgiveness...I can't do everything. I am a mother of 4 children and wife and homeschooler and tutor...There are days that I don't get everything done. I have found though, that I can't take of others if I don't take care of myself.
• Do you have a quote that you live by?
It is a marathon, not a sprint. I want to wear out, not rust out!
• How important is sleep during your contest prep? How many hours should athletes be getting every night?
Sleep is crucial! I would love to hit between 6-7 hours. (More or less for me personally and I am a bear!)