Workouts Personal Bests (Ranking & Videos)
Fitness And Health Questions & Answers
• How did you start your fitness journey?
I started running in high school because I wanted the cute letter jacket, and I was already in shape from lugging around newspapers on my route on foot each morning, starting at the age of 11 and delivering the hard-hitting news of the Auburn Journal and Sacramento Bee. In adulthood, I started running longer distances, including a few marathons and about 25 ultra marathons (50K-100K distances completed numerous times, and I earned two DNFs for 100 mile runs). Work travel, parental care, and grad school encroached on my running schedule, and I took up Bikram yoga, then started CrossFit in January of 2015 -- and I earned my CF-L1 in August of 2017.
• Why do you train?
Training is what makes me feel like me, as I thrive on mental and physical challenges. Considering that I feel better after a training session than I do after eating junk food on my sofa at home, the choice is easy. Plus, the CrossFit community is renowned for holding each other accountable and offering genuine support. I love to see fellow members' breakthroughs!
• What do you hope to accomplish with your training/fitness?
I'm an advocate for life-long health and fitness. After having cared for both of my now-deceased parents, I want to mitigate the effects of age and genetic predisposition to disease.
• What do you think a healthy lifestyle has added to your life?
It's all about the mind-body connection, so the mental benefits are just as critical as the physical ones.
• Advice to beginners?
For running, just run until it gets too hard, then walk until it gets too easy. Repeat. For CrossFit, be open to coaching and learn the techniques.
• What is your favourite cheat meal?
#24 (breakfast burrito) from El Forastero in Carmichael
• What keeps you motivated?
• How many hours do you sleep each night?
Seven is my magic number!
• Are there any unique training tips you use that you would like to share with us?
Always view feedback as a gift, which can be easier said than done.
• What does your typical meal plan look like?
Combination of paleo, zone, and Renaissance Periodization
• What are the 3 words that best describe you?
Genuine, direct, welcoming
• How do you manage the balance in your life and find time for everything?
It's all about choices and priorities; I fancy myself as a scholar of behavioral economics. I will gladly make trade-offs to ensure I'm taking care of my mental and physical health.
• Do you have a quote that you live by?
"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."